Logo

Packers Cut Ties with Bust WR in Favor of Rookie Draft Pick

May 1, 2025 – GREEN BAY, Wis. – The Green Bay Packers have officially parted ways with wide receiver Dontayvion Wicks, a 2023 fifth-round pick, to clear roster space for incoming rookie talent, sources told ESPN on Sunday. The move reflects the team’s renewed focus on youth following Wicks’ underwhelming tenure in Titletown.

Wicks, 24, showed flashes in 2024 with 400 receiving yards and four touchdowns, but his campaign was marred by a 27% drop rate — a stat that ultimately cemented his label as a “bust.” His inconsistency catching the ball kept him from carving out a meaningful role within an increasingly crowded receiving corps (NFL.com).

The Packers, coming off a bitter 11-6 wild-card exit, used the 2025 NFL Draft to revamp the position. They selected Matthew Golden in Round 1 and Savion Williams in Round 3, both of whom bring fresh energy and athleticism to Green Bay’s offense.

“We’re investing in potential,” said GM Brian Gutekunst, signaling that Wicks had become expendable (Packers Wire).

Golden, a standout from Texas, racked up 987 yards and nine touchdowns in 2024 and turned heads with a 4.29-second 40-yard dash. Williams, a versatile playmaker from TCU, enters the league with 1,576 career receiving yards. Their speed and upside have quickly eclipsed Wicks’ modest production (Pro Football Reference).

Financially, Wicks’ release saves the team $1 million in cap space, contributing to Green Bay’s $47 million offseason budget (Spotrac). Head coach Matt LaFleur simply said, “It’s a fresh start.” Wicks’ 14.7% drop rate in high-pressure situations reportedly sealed the decision.

Fan reactions flooded X. “Wicks gone? Good riddance!” one post read. With Jayden Reed tallying 857 yards last year, Romeo Doubs’ dependability, and the additions of Golden and Williams, the loss of Wicks stings little. The urgency is heightened by Christian Watson’s ongoing ACL rehab (ESPN).

Green Bay’s receiving corps, which ranked 11th in passer rating last season, clearly needed a shakeup. Wicks’ 33 receptions couldn’t stack up against Golden’s big-play potential or Williams’ dual-threat skillset. Veterans like Mecole Hardman and Bo Melton only intensify the competition (The Athletic).

With OTAs just around the corner, the Packers’ decision to release Wicks signals strong confidence in their rookie class. Whether Golden and Williams can supercharge Jordan Love’s 3,947-yard arm remains to be seen — but for Green Bay, 2025 marks the beginning of a bold new era.

Bills WR Officially Benched After Repeatedly Showing Up Late to Team Meetings - This Is His Fifth Time Being Late, He Was Reportedly Intoxicated
SHOCKING news out of Orchard Park: The Buffalo Bills have indefinitely benched their former second-round wide receiver after yet another disciplinary incident. Sources inside One Bills Drive confirm this marks the FIFTH time in the 2025 season the player has been late to a team meeting — and the latest offense was the final straw: he reportedly showed up reeking of alcohol. Moments after Monday’s team meeting, head coach Sean McDermott addressed the media with a tone that left no room for interpretation: “The Buffalo Bills will not tolerate disrespect toward this football team, disrespect toward your teammates, and disrespect toward yourself. We’ve given chances, we’ve had private conversations, we’ve done everything we can. At this point, enough is enough. When you walk into this building, you represent an entire city and an entire fan base. We cannot and will not accept this any longer.” That player? None other than Keon Coleman — the once-hyped Florida State product drafted in the second round of 2024 to be Josh Allen’s next big-play weapon. From “generational talent” to full-blown headache in less than two seasons: Incidents 1–2: Late to meetings → internal warnings Incident 3: Benched for two full games in November 2025 Incident 4: Seen dancing on the sideline while serving that benching Incident 5: Showed up late AGAIN… and allegedly intoxicated → indefinitely removed from the active roster Just weeks ago, Bills Hall of Famer Andre Reed spent nearly two hours on the phone trying to mentor the 22-year-old, but it now appears the message fell on deaf ears. With no Bills receiver currently on pace for even 760 yards this season and the room already paper-thin after the Amari Cooper and Brandin Cooks additions, losing Keon Coleman — even for non-football reasons — is a gut punch. Bills Mafia is LIVID. Many are already calling for the front office to cut their losses, just like they did with first-round bust Kaiir Elam and second-round flop Boogie Basham. The million-dollar question now: Is this the end of Keon Coleman in Buffalo, or will Sean McDermott and Brandon Beane give him one final lifeline? Drop your take in the comments: Keep Keon and hope he grows up… or ship him out TODAY? 👇🔥