Logo

Bills Land Former $154M 2-Times Super Bowl Champion QB in Free Agency to Backup Josh Allen

Buffalo, NY – May 16, 2025 — The Buffalo Bills have bolstered their quarterback depth chart with a calculated move, signing veteran signal-caller Carson Wentz to a one-year deal worth $1.9 million, according to ESPN’s Adam Schefter. The signing, finalized on May 15, provides seasoned insurance behind MVP quarterback Josh Allen.

Wentz, now 32, carries a championship pedigree. He played a key role in the Philadelphia Eagles’ 2017 Super Bowl LII win and later started for the Kansas City Chiefs in their 2023 Super Bowl LVIII victory. Despite a quiet 2024 season as Patrick Mahomes’ backup, Wentz’s career totals — 95 starts, 22,938 passing yards, and 153 touchdowns — bring valuable experience to the Bills’ QB room, per NFL.com.

Buffalo’s depth at quarterback had thinned following the trade of Kyle Allen and the departure of Mitch Trubisky. With rookie Shane Buechele still unproven, GM Brandon Beane turned to Wentz, who remained unsigned after his stint in Kansas City, to offer leadership and security.

“This is where you come to win,” Wentz told Ryan O’Halloran of The Buffalo News. “I’m here to support Josh and go get another ring.”

According to Spotrac, the contract includes $1.5 million guaranteed, fitting well within the Bills’ available $12.6 million in cap space. Over The Cap labeled it a low-risk signing that leaves flexibility to address other roster concerns, such as James Cook’s $15 million contract situation or a potential move for cornerback Jonathan Jones.

While Wentz earned a modest 2024 PFF grade of 62.3, his Pro Bowl-caliber 2017 season — featuring 33 touchdowns to just 7 interceptions — serves as a reminder of his ceiling. In Buffalo, he’ll serve as a mentor to Buechele while backing an offense that ranked 5th in passing yards per game (273.4) last year, per NFL.com.

“He brings championship experience and is a perfect safety net,” said NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport.

With marquee home matchups ahead against the Chiefs and Ravens, the addition of Wentz gives Buffalo a proven option should Allen miss time. His toughness, leadership, and postseason pedigree could become key assets as the Bills continue their pursuit of a long-awaited first Super Bowl title.

The NFL Officially Fines the Chiefs for Violating Concussion Protocol, Leading to a Situation Where a Wide Receiver’s Career Could Be in Jeopardy
BREAKING: The Kansas City Chiefs have just been HIT with massive fines by the NFL after deliberately ignoring mandatory concussion protocol on star wide receiver Rashee Rice, and the consequences could end his career before age 25. It all went down in Week 14 against the Houston Texans. Late in the third quarter, Texans safety Jalen Pitre delivered a brutal (but legal) hit that sent Rashee Rice crashing to the turf. His body went limp, arms showed the classic “fencing posture” response linked to head trauma, and he immediately grabbed his helmet in pain. Any normal team would have rushed him straight to the blue medical tent. The Chiefs? They did NOTHING. No sideline evaluation. No concussion protocol activated. No explanation. Now the league has spoken: Kansas City has been found GUILTY of violating player safety rules and has been slapped with heavy fines just days after Mike Florio (Pro Football Talk) first exposed the incident. Sources say the penalties could climb into the hundreds of thousands, with potential loss of draft picks still on the table. Worse yet – independent neurologists are now warning that if Rice suffered an undetected concussion and was allowed back on the field, the long-term brain damage could be irreversible. We’re talking CTE risk, memory loss, and a very real chance his NFL career is already over at just 24 years old. This isn’t the league’s first rodeo: The New York Giants were fined $200K + Brian Daboll $100K just for peeking into the tent and yelling at doctors The Chiefs’ violation is being called “far more egregious” Rashee Rice has gone silent on social media and is reportedly undergoing extensive follow-up testing. Insider reports claim there’s a growing chance he misses the rest of the 2025 season – or worse. With Kansas City clinging to an 11% playoff chance and now drowning in this player-safety scandal, the reigning champs have officially become the NFL’s biggest villain of 2025. Was protecting a win that night worth potentially destroying a young star’s future? Drop your take below – no holding back.